Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Bedlam in Goliath - The Mars Volta (2008) Review



Right now after having done the whole thing, I feel depleted, kinda like I just took on the burden of the ring to Mordor, but on reflection, the adventure was fantastic!

Heaps of new ideas, but alas some noodle induced worm holes too. I think they should have stayed with Rick Ruben, That homie somehow managed to tame the beast.

I love Mars volta for their creativity and this dark horse was a wild ride into some quite uncomfortable places musically, but still interesting in a japanese horror film type way. Thomas (the new drummer) is certainly the star this time round but keeping up with his multi-dimensional rhythm farts was both entertaining and exhausting simultaneously. I swear that boy has more limbs than Vishnu!

Sometimes the unpredictable becomes predictable and at times, this is far too evident for my liking on this particular record.

Cedrics glass shattering squeal is on parade but lacks the balls that Robert Plant sank into the musical vagina before him. On the flip side his execution of weird melodic ideas are refreshing and rejuvenating to me and is enough to temporally forget the treble ringing in the back of my skull.

Apart from that, pure joy. Final overall score... 7.2/10

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just finished listening and I must say, I really dug it. I think your right though the sooner they make the voyage back to Rick Rubens production guidance the better.
Over all I'd say this could be my second fav MV album, all the things you mention are true ~ the guitar noodling (I was expecting that though) and the extreme drum masturbation but at least the songs are some what song like!
One gripe (and bear in mind I've only listened to it once). Whats up with that song that sounds like the intro to metallica unforgiven?

Electrolegs said...

Yeah, thats the worst song.. Tourniquet Man. It's like a 80's ballad or something. Def my 2nd best TMV album.

Anonymous said...

I've given it a pretty good thrashing now and like a lot of it. Yeah, it comes in second place to DITC, loads of noodling I could personally do with out and please Rick (or to be honest anyone objective) please step in and return these guys to the top of the heap. I like my shit a little more direct than these guys are prone to doing when left to their own devices.